Outside of aesthetic value, the care you take of your toenails can also prevent painful ingrown nails, discomfort with shoe gear and even nail fungus. Here are a few tips to keep your toes in tip-top shape!
- Wash your feet in warm, soapy water daily, paying attention to the areas between the toes.
- Exfoliate the skin with a scrub or pumice stone, especially on the heels and balls of your feet which bear the weight of your body every day and are therefore more prone to developing callouses.
- Moisturize your feet daily. Click here to see our skin care products.
- Trim your toenails every few weeks; toenails are easiest to trim after a bath or shower, when they are softest. Trim the nail straight across, not cutting into the corners (which can lead to ingrown nails). Apply a cuticle oil to soften the cuticles, and then gently push the cuticles back. Do not cut the cuticles, which can cause an increased susceptibility to bacterial or fungal infections.
- Central Carolina Foot & Ankle Associates offers a wide range of products to make your nails not only beautiful, but healthy as well. Below are some of our more popular nail care products.
Clarus™ Antifungal Solution
Nail fungus is very common. If your nails are yellowed and unsightly from fungal infection, Clarus™ Antifungal solution can improve their appearance at treat fungus. Formulated with 1% Tolnaftate in an oil-soluble formulation with essential oils to help penetrate the nail, Clarus™ is best used in conjunction with an additional toenail fungus treatment (such as PinPointe Laser Treatment or oral Lamisil) to speed up treatment and prevent reinfection. Clarus™ can also be used to treat athlete’s foot (tinea pedis) and ringworm.
Kera™ Nail Gel
Thickened toenails from trauma or fungus can be not only unsightly, but can cause discomfort in your shoes with continued trauma as the thick nail hits the inside of the shoe. Kera™ Nail Gel is a strong urea product (47% Urea) formulated in essential oils to soften thickened, dystrophic (misshapen) nails, making it easier to thin the nail down. Kera™ Gel also helps other topical products such as Clarus™ Anti-fungal to penetrate the nail.
Dr.’s Remedy Enriched Nail Care products
Custom blended, doctor formulated nail polish and remover infused with wheat protein, tea tree oil, garlic bulb extract and lavender. The first and only nail polish to receive APMA’s Seal of Approval.
Click Here to read more about the products.
Call Central Carolina Foot and Ankle Associates at (919) 477-9333 for an appointment or click the link below.